General musings on the ups and downs and ins and outs in the life of a 30 something, unmarried, life loving, some times interesting and sometimes not, mostly happy girl just trying to figure it all out!

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Case for a Creator

I have been reading a book by Lee Strobel called The Case for Faith. This is the third book of his I have read and I really enjoyed The Case for Christ and The Case for Faith. Lee Strobel is a journalist and former atheist who interviews various experts in a myriad of fields to prove that Christ existed, why you can have faith, and in the one I am reading now: why the universe must have had a master designer, or creator. The difference with this one is that it is dealing with the beginning of the universe and it references physics and chemistry and things I don't understand.


Now, I totally find these kinds of books fascinating. I love having the history of the Bible, why it's reliable, the theology of it, etc explained to me. I just think it's cool. But after reading a chapter about why there must be a creator because the setting for gravity has a one in a billion trillion trillion trillion trillion (I'm serious- he said it was a one with 56 zeros after it) chance of being set exactly at the spot it is and if it were moved even a (insert some other incomprehensibly small number here) percent humans would be instantly squished, I was just confused. And my brain started to wander. And I come to the following conclusions as to why Ashley Lane must have been created (and mine are much simpler):

My grandparents never should have met.
My Paw Paw was sent back to the US from Germany in WWII before the rest of his army unit to get a space ready for them at Ft. Bragg, North Carolina. On a train ride from DC to NC he happened to sit next to a man meeting his wife and daughter in NC. But guess what? He was supposed to get off the train and party it up with a buddy, but he got too drunk and fell asleep. So he left with the nice man instead. At the same time, my Gran was riding a train from Asheville, NC and sat next to a lady and her charming daughter on their way to meet their husband/father. They became friendly and exchanged numbers. That evening the lady and daughter met my Paw Paw at dinner with the man from the other train. The nice lady (no one remembers her name) decided Gran would be just perfect for Paw Paw. The problem: Gran refused the invitation to meet him.

Two days later- Granny is walking down a street where the nice lady just happens to be getting her hair cut and her four-year-old daughter just happens to spot Granny out the window and runs out onto the street, cornering her.
You see where this is going, right?
What are the odds???

Add on that Paw Paw almost immediately was sent to the West Coast instead to be shipped to Japan, then the war ended and then he found Gran again, and you can see that no Harlequin romance Novel can beat this!

My parents never should have met either
My Mama was married just out of college and he left her less than a year after the wedding. She didn't date for years. She just went places with friends- including one of her best friends from high school, Stevie Hendry. In the mean time Daddy made BFF with his freshman year roommate, David Hendry. Their sister was getting married and my Daddy, "Mr. LSU," was somehow without a date. The Hendry boys plotted and tricked Mama into being his date and voila!
Not quite as unique as Granny and Paw Paw, but add on that Mama thought Daddy was breaking up with her while he was proposing and it gets more unlikely.

I could go on, but this post is getting kind of long. Let's just suffice it to say that my life is rather odd and crazy and so many unlikely things happen that someone must be in control up there! Someone funny, actually, because what started off as everyone confusing two girls with the same name (Ashley), one that worked in City Hall and one that worked at the DIB, and an incident with an Elvis stalker (Yep, that's right...) turned into a BFF relationship with AC that I could never, ever survive without.

What's your case for Creation?

No comments:

Post a Comment

All About Ashley

My photo
Spring, TX, Southern, United States
Playing with and keeping up with my nephew and niece take up a lot of my time. Van Geaux takes up the rest of it. Work is an afterthought most days! I like to be outside- but not when it's too hot. I get bored at my desk all day. Niki keeps my world spinning and without her and AC I'd lose it. My work ethic crashes at 4 p.m. daily and I live my sweet puppy and my hedgehog whenever I am not at Niki's. I truly believe naps are quality pass-time events, and sometimes I say bad words at work. I'm pretty sure I'm insane on multiple levels and I believe rules don't apply to me.
It seems that my life is quite entertaining. I didn't realize this myself, but was informed of it by my friends- who are rather entertained by tales of my life occurrences.

I'm far from a professional writer. These are just stories, comments, and other items for simple amusement. Hopefully it's a fun read, as Shannon plans to edit it into a book one day! Maybe we'll become famous, and maybe we'll just have some good laughs at my expense (and some other characters in my life). Either way, happy reading!