General musings on the ups and downs and ins and outs in the life of a 30 something, unmarried, life loving, some times interesting and sometimes not, mostly happy girl just trying to figure it all out!

Friday, April 30, 2010

A Perfect Margarita

Thankfully, my life has not had time to create any more drama since yesterday. Except for when the cat climbed the bookshelf this morning and nocked the clock off of the wall and the dogs reacted so that you would have thought:
#1: Something was trying to kill Van (my brave baby! Ha!)
#2: Tommie was trying to kill what was killing Van.

This morning, as always, I am dreaming of Margaritas. If you know me, you know that next to a nice glass of red wine there is nothing I prefer to a good Margarita!

While I was in Wisconsin, Annie and I debated the perfect Margarita recipe. She learned to make hers from a cocktail guru for the yacht and I learned to make mine from a very sexy Costa Rican. My story was better, but in the end we decided a combo of recipes was the best way.

Fresh lime juice really is the key. I have an electric juicer (purchased solely for the making of Margaritas), so that makes it easy. It's in storage, though, so lately I've been slacking to the mix and it really isn't as good. Lime's are expensive, too. So at best use half mix and half lime juice.

Orange Juice is the secret ingredient, though! It makes them perfect and just sweet enough. And always on the rocks! Frozen dilutes it too much. If you have to have frozen, use a few ice cubes but freeze the mix or lime juice and OJ. Much better!

So here's the recipe Annie and I wrestled down:
1 shot tequila (Cuervo Gold is good, of course, or a better label. But I think Sauza Gold mixes really well)
1 shot fresh lime juice (or half mix, 1/2 juice)
1 shot Gran Marnier (You can skip this if you don't want to buy the Grand Marnier and add about a 1/2 extra shot of Tequila and extra OJ)
1/2 to 1 full shot of OJ, depending on how sweet you like them
Pour all of that over ice in a shaker or a separate glass (not the serving glass). Shake it up or pour back and fourth between two glasses until well mixed.
Rim a glass with margarita or kosher salt and pour your cocktail in! Yum!!

I'm not huge on flavored margaritas, but every now and then I get a hankering. If you like them, then go for it! Mango is the flavor I've found that I like, but Strawberry is popular too. If you want to do it on the rocks, put your fruit in a blender or food processor and pulverize it. Use it instead of OJ. If you want frozen- freeze the fruit first!

However you like your Margaritas- Drink up! It's summer time, and they're divine with everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All About Ashley

My photo
Spring, TX, Southern, United States
Playing with and keeping up with my nephew and niece take up a lot of my time. Van Geaux takes up the rest of it. Work is an afterthought most days! I like to be outside- but not when it's too hot. I get bored at my desk all day. Niki keeps my world spinning and without her and AC I'd lose it. My work ethic crashes at 4 p.m. daily and I live my sweet puppy and my hedgehog whenever I am not at Niki's. I truly believe naps are quality pass-time events, and sometimes I say bad words at work. I'm pretty sure I'm insane on multiple levels and I believe rules don't apply to me.
It seems that my life is quite entertaining. I didn't realize this myself, but was informed of it by my friends- who are rather entertained by tales of my life occurrences.

I'm far from a professional writer. These are just stories, comments, and other items for simple amusement. Hopefully it's a fun read, as Shannon plans to edit it into a book one day! Maybe we'll become famous, and maybe we'll just have some good laughs at my expense (and some other characters in my life). Either way, happy reading!