General musings on the ups and downs and ins and outs in the life of a 30 something, unmarried, life loving, some times interesting and sometimes not, mostly happy girl just trying to figure it all out!

Friday, July 22, 2011

Space Exploration

I live in Houston now, so I hear more about NASA and space exploration than I did in Florida- which may sound a bit odd seeing as most shuttles are launched in Florida. Let me just go ahead and burst your bubble: the Florida Panhandle and South Florida are NOT the same thing. But anyhoo...



I have been hearing a lot about the arguments surrounding the end of the Apollo program and, in some people's opinions, The US' space exploration. Astronauts and congressmen are screaming that with the loss of funding to NASA space exploration will fall behind and the US will be overtaken as the leader in space exploration by Russia or China or the likes.

Now, I have a massive amount of respect for Neil Armstrong (a very loud voice against ending the Apollo project), obviously. And I think space exploration is most likely a beneficial undertaking and a worthy goal to keep in site. It's also really, really cool. Check out my home state from space:

Awesome, right? But all of that being considered- I can't help but wonder if discovering life on Mars and being outdone by Russia is really more important that getting medical care to children, paying our troops, and balancing the national budget. Our country is in the midst of a financial crisis and it's time to make some hard choices. In addition to ending the Apollo program this week, NASA laid off hundreds of workers. Hundreds. That's a lot. Let's think about them and their needs.

I just think that, maybe, Luke Armstrong and the like should be thinking about how else the funding could be used. Not to say that it wouldn't be difficult to give up on 40 years of work and dreams. It would be- and I am sure it is. But we all have to make hard choices, give up dreams, and make decisions for the sake of our families. In the case of the USA, all of us are the family. And this sister thinks "Big Brother" in Washington is making a good choice here. The others- well, that's for other blog posts!

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

All About Ashley

My photo
Spring, TX, Southern, United States
Playing with and keeping up with my nephew and niece take up a lot of my time. Van Geaux takes up the rest of it. Work is an afterthought most days! I like to be outside- but not when it's too hot. I get bored at my desk all day. Niki keeps my world spinning and without her and AC I'd lose it. My work ethic crashes at 4 p.m. daily and I live my sweet puppy and my hedgehog whenever I am not at Niki's. I truly believe naps are quality pass-time events, and sometimes I say bad words at work. I'm pretty sure I'm insane on multiple levels and I believe rules don't apply to me.
It seems that my life is quite entertaining. I didn't realize this myself, but was informed of it by my friends- who are rather entertained by tales of my life occurrences.

I'm far from a professional writer. These are just stories, comments, and other items for simple amusement. Hopefully it's a fun read, as Shannon plans to edit it into a book one day! Maybe we'll become famous, and maybe we'll just have some good laughs at my expense (and some other characters in my life). Either way, happy reading!