General musings on the ups and downs and ins and outs in the life of a 30 something, unmarried, life loving, some times interesting and sometimes not, mostly happy girl just trying to figure it all out!

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Life and Choice

Niki and I attended a Pregnancy Assistance Center dinner last night with my church group. The group was going and everyone was bringing someone. I have a very guarded relationship with Pro Life people and I wasn't so sure I wanted to go. So I did what any normal person would do- I signed my best friend up too and drug her with me. How cute are we? Sorry for the grainy pic- my camera hates the great indoors. And before I launch into my spiel, I would like to state that I got that dress for $17.00 at a second hand store. It still had a price tag on it for $190-something dollars. I rock!

Mike Huckabee was the keynote speaker at the event and I was a bit nervous. I'm not exactly liberal, but I am surely not conservative. While I liked Huckabee when he ran for the presidential nomination- he is a former Southern Baptist preacher and I was pretty sure I would not like what he had to say about abortion and being Pro-Life. It just so happens I was wrong. I actually enjoyed his speech and I agreed with about 90% of what he said. My basic stance is this: I do not believe abortion should be used as birth control and I absolutely believe it is a choice to be entered into with prayer and much thought. I had a friend in college who "accidentally got pregnant" and went to have it "taken care of." She was careless and ended up pregnant, and she made the decision so flippantly that I was the one who sat and cried for hours and she just had it done and then flew to New York for a trip. That is not OK. As someone who faces the distinct possibility of not having biological children, I take it hard when people do not take children seriously and throw them away. On the other side, I will never, ever believe it is OK for the government to decide one way or the other what a woman can do with her own body. You may speak to them, counsel them and give them information- but you may NOT decide for anyone else. Additionally, legalizing abortion took it out of back allies and butcher shops and put it into hospitals and clinics where women could get proper care. And as hard and awful as it may be, I truly believe there are times when abortion is appropriate.

The center hosting the event focuses very strongly on not judging the women's choices who enter their doors. As a Christian organization, they do counsel for carrying the baby, however they do not force the issue. They give information, offer classes on birthing, raising young children, how to balance life as a mother and also give tangible support like strollers, diapers, baby food, etc. That, my friends, is a program that I can support.

All of that being said, I think open and rational debate is vital to any topic like this. I learned a lot from just listening last night and realized that my Christian beliefs put me in very close proximity with Pro-Life believers. The problem lies in the fact that few people can be rational when discussing these topics.

My main take away was this- I find it incredibly unfair that by being Pro-Choice I am filed in the category of Anti-Life. I am in no way anti-life. I think my arguments for the right to have a choice in certain situations is, in fact, very pro-life. This is not a black and white topic. There is no one right way. And to believe that that is the case is naive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All About Ashley

My photo
Spring, TX, Southern, United States
Playing with and keeping up with my nephew and niece take up a lot of my time. Van Geaux takes up the rest of it. Work is an afterthought most days! I like to be outside- but not when it's too hot. I get bored at my desk all day. Niki keeps my world spinning and without her and AC I'd lose it. My work ethic crashes at 4 p.m. daily and I live my sweet puppy and my hedgehog whenever I am not at Niki's. I truly believe naps are quality pass-time events, and sometimes I say bad words at work. I'm pretty sure I'm insane on multiple levels and I believe rules don't apply to me.
It seems that my life is quite entertaining. I didn't realize this myself, but was informed of it by my friends- who are rather entertained by tales of my life occurrences.

I'm far from a professional writer. These are just stories, comments, and other items for simple amusement. Hopefully it's a fun read, as Shannon plans to edit it into a book one day! Maybe we'll become famous, and maybe we'll just have some good laughs at my expense (and some other characters in my life). Either way, happy reading!