General musings on the ups and downs and ins and outs in the life of a 30 something, unmarried, life loving, some times interesting and sometimes not, mostly happy girl just trying to figure it all out!

Monday, February 20, 2012

Sweet Potato Hash with Eggs

I am in LOVE with eggs. I really, really adore them. When I lived on the farm they were always so fresh and delicious that I got addicted. So when I flew back last weekend I carried some home on the plane. :) That's right- in my carry on.

Last night I had been busy all day and not really sat down to eat. And I was starving!! But I had little to no groceries, so I decided to make a dinner out of this:


OK, fine- out of this plus sage and two eggs. 

I got a recipe like this out of Cooking Light a year or so ago and I vary it with whatever I have around. It's also excellent with sausage and half sweet potato, half red potato. 

It's SO easy- chop half the onion (the whole one if you're using 2 potatoes) and cube the potato. Put a little olive oil in the pan and cover with sage (I like a lot, so I used about 2 tablespoons. Vary to your taste). 


Cook until potatoes are soft (20 to 25 mins over medium heat. It also helps if you put a little water in and cover for a bit so they steam. But be sure to let the water cook off.)


It also helps if you add some wine- as in add it to your glass.

Finished potatoes

OK, after that I poach/fry my eggs. I learned this method from Miss Sally at the farm and it's much easier than frying. Less breakage! Basically, you just put about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of water in a hot skillet and add a little vinegar to keep the eggs together. Cook until done.

Put your eggs directly on top of your potatoes. The yolk mixes with the sage and it's absolutely perfect.

TO  DIE  FOR!!

I like meals like this where it's one pot and easy, but you feel like you've really made yourself something nice. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

All About Ashley

My photo
Spring, TX, Southern, United States
Playing with and keeping up with my nephew and niece take up a lot of my time. Van Geaux takes up the rest of it. Work is an afterthought most days! I like to be outside- but not when it's too hot. I get bored at my desk all day. Niki keeps my world spinning and without her and AC I'd lose it. My work ethic crashes at 4 p.m. daily and I live my sweet puppy and my hedgehog whenever I am not at Niki's. I truly believe naps are quality pass-time events, and sometimes I say bad words at work. I'm pretty sure I'm insane on multiple levels and I believe rules don't apply to me.
It seems that my life is quite entertaining. I didn't realize this myself, but was informed of it by my friends- who are rather entertained by tales of my life occurrences.

I'm far from a professional writer. These are just stories, comments, and other items for simple amusement. Hopefully it's a fun read, as Shannon plans to edit it into a book one day! Maybe we'll become famous, and maybe we'll just have some good laughs at my expense (and some other characters in my life). Either way, happy reading!