General musings on the ups and downs and ins and outs in the life of a 30 something, unmarried, life loving, some times interesting and sometimes not, mostly happy girl just trying to figure it all out!

Thursday, April 26, 2012

He Loves Me

Seeing as the title of this blog is "I'm the Auntie" I decided to make an actual Auntie post. The general gist of this blog is being 30 (almost) and single and what that lifestyle is about (Thus "I'm the Auntie" and not a Mommy blog). It's also about my general need to hash things out- and writing it down helps. But I also happen to completely adore my nieces and nephews. And I believe them to be the most adorable and hilarious children on the planet. It's kind of sad. I can just sit and watch them do whatever for hours.

Nathan and I when he was 2. I take great pride in my responsibility for his love of mud.

So anywhoo... when I was talking to Niki on my drive to work this morning and she told me this story I decided I wanted to share.

The conversation began with, "Nathan is telling stories about you." This stopped me short for a minute because I was thinking he'd finally decided to tell him mom I let him jump off of the sofa onto a mattress on the floor when he isn't allowed to jump on the sofa. Then I remembered I sent her a picture message documenting the naughty event, so I let that thought go. Then I assumed I was going to get a story about how the last time I babysat I refused to let him play his video game because he didn't eat his supper. I got this idea because when I told him no for the umpteenth time he could not play and to go sit DOWN, he told me he was telling his Mommy what I did to him.

My actual response: "OK, Nathan. You can do that. But until she gets home I make the decisions."

Response I wanted to use: "That will be fine, Nathan, because she is MY best friend and she is obliged by law to agree with me and support my video game wielding authority."

But the actual story she told me was much better. Apparently, he has taken to telling her stories about me. I find this adorable- the child is interjecting me into his real and pretend life! The fact that the stories have no truth to them means nothing, because in each story I am arriving to save him, ie- Mommy, I was walking in the woods and I hit my head on a tree, but Auntie came and made it all OK." Priceless. This is in addition to a few weeks ago when he told his friend that when his AUNTIE comes over he gets to ride his bike.

That's right, folks, I am cool in the eyes of a four year old. I am ingrained in his world and he loves it. Sometimes, that's really all you need in the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment

All About Ashley

My photo
Spring, TX, Southern, United States
Playing with and keeping up with my nephew and niece take up a lot of my time. Van Geaux takes up the rest of it. Work is an afterthought most days! I like to be outside- but not when it's too hot. I get bored at my desk all day. Niki keeps my world spinning and without her and AC I'd lose it. My work ethic crashes at 4 p.m. daily and I live my sweet puppy and my hedgehog whenever I am not at Niki's. I truly believe naps are quality pass-time events, and sometimes I say bad words at work. I'm pretty sure I'm insane on multiple levels and I believe rules don't apply to me.
It seems that my life is quite entertaining. I didn't realize this myself, but was informed of it by my friends- who are rather entertained by tales of my life occurrences.

I'm far from a professional writer. These are just stories, comments, and other items for simple amusement. Hopefully it's a fun read, as Shannon plans to edit it into a book one day! Maybe we'll become famous, and maybe we'll just have some good laughs at my expense (and some other characters in my life). Either way, happy reading!